Say hello to a next-level veggie burger.
PREP — 30 Minutes
COOK — 6 Minutes
TOTAL — 36 Minutes
7 teaspoons canola oil, divided
- 3/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/2 cup finely chopped peeled carrot
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/3 cup uncooked quinoa
- 1/2 cup panko
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 cups canned unsalted chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons Schultz's Spicy Original cooking sauce
- 4 (1 1/2-ounce) whole-wheat hamburger buns, toasted
- 4 romaine lettuce leaves
- 4 (1/4-inch-thick) slices tomato
OPTIONAL: blue cheese crumbles, pickles and avocado slices
1. Heat a saucepan over medium-high heat. Add 2 teaspoons oil; swirl to coat. Add onion, carrot, and garlic; sauté 3 minutes. Add 3/4 cup water and quinoa; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to medium, and simmer 18 minutes or until liquid is absorbed. Spoon cooked quinoa onto a large plate; cool 5 minutes. Combine quinoa mixture, panko, salt, pepper, chickpeas, and egg in a food processor; pulse until chickpeas are slightly mashed and mixture comes together. Shape quinoa mixture into 4 (1/2-inch-thick) patties.
2. Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add 1 tablespoon oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add patties to pan; cook 3 minutes on each side or until lightly browned.
3. Combine remaining 2 teaspoons oil and Schultz's Spicy Original sauce in a bowl. Place patties on bottom halves of buns; top evenly with hot sauce mixture, lettuce, tomato, any additional toppings and top halves of buns.