Warm melty cheese on the inside, crisp and crunchy on the outside.
PREP — 25 Minutes
COOK — 10 Minutes
TOTAL — 35 Minutes
- 3/4 pound ground beef
- 1 link fresh chorizo (3-4 ounces), casing removed
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup fine yellow cornmeal
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1.5 tablespoons Schultz's Seasoning & Rub
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 granulated onion
- 2 cups corn tortilla chips
- 2 ounces Cheddar, cut into 30 cubes just under 1/2 inch thick
- Shredded iceberg lettuce, guacamole, pico de gallo and sour cream, for serving
1. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment.
2. Mix together the ground beef, chorizo, egg, cornmeal, tomato paste, Schultz's Seasoning & Rub, chili powder, cumin, oregano, granulated onion, 1 teaspoon salt and a few grinds of pepper with your hands in a large bowl. Scoop the mixture into tablespoon-sized portions. For each, press 1 cube of cheese into the center, press the meat around it to seal, and roll into a smooth ball.
3. Put the chips in a plastic bag, seal and crush with a rolling pin. Drop 3 or 4 meatballs at a time into the bag, and roll them around to lightly coat with the crushed chips. Arrange the coated meatballs on the prepared baking sheet, and bake until the outsides are browned and the cheese is melted inside, 10 to 12 minutes.
4. Serve the meatballs on a platter over a bed of shredded lettuce with guacamole, pico de gallo and sour cream on the side.
Image from the Food Network