Give your next meatball sub some south-of-the-border flair.
PREP: 20 Min. | COOK: 15 Min. | TOTAL: 35 Minutes.
1 pound meatloaf mix (ground beef, pork and veal)
- 1/4 cup of finely crushed tortilla chips
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro, plus 3 sprigs
- 1/4 cup finely chopped scallions, plus more for garnish
- 3 cloves garlic; 1 minced, 2 mashed
- 3 teaspoons Schultz's Seasoning & Rub
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon Schultz's Spicy Original or Green Chili Lime
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cups canned fire-roasted diced tomatoes
- 4 crusty sub rolls, halved and split
- Diced avocado and crumbled Mexican cheese, for garnish
HOW TO MAKE
STEP 1: Preheat the oven to 350. Mix the meat, tortilla chips, egg, chopped cilantro, 1/4 cup scallions, minced garlic, 1 teaspoon Schultz's Seasoning & Rub, 1 teaspoon cumin in a bowl. Roll into 16 small meatballs.
STEP 2: Heat the olive oil in a nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add the meatballs and lightly brown, turning as needed, about 5 minutes. Add the smashed garlic and the remaining 2 teaspoons Schultz's Seasoning & Rub and 1 teaspoon cumin; cook for 1 to 2 minutes. Add the tomatoes, cilantro sprigs, 1 tablespoon Schultz's Spicy Original or Green Chili Lime, and 1 1/2 cups water. Bring to a simmer, then cover, reduce the heat to low and cook until the sauce thickens and the meatballs are tender, about 15 minutes.
STEP 3: About 5 minutes before the meatballs are done, toast the rolls in the oven. Place 2 roll halves in each of 4 shallow bowls and top with 4 meatballs. Drizzle with sauce, then pour the remaining sauce into the bowls. Top with avocado, cheese and/or scallions, if desired. Drizzle with Schultz's Spicy Original or Green Chili Lime sauce to add some extra kick.