This delectable dip always seems to generate buzz anytime we prepare it. Instead of your typical nacho style cheese dip, this recipe features a blend made primarily with cream cheese, sour cream and sautéed onions. The secret though is to add Schultz's Smoky Chipotle Sauce to the onions while they are being sautéed. That way the onions absorb all that flavor before getting mixed together with the other ingredients.
|PREP — 10 Minutes||COOK — 40 Minutes||TOTAL — 50 Minutes||SERVES 6|
- 3 medium-sized yellow onions
- 2 tbsp Salted Butter
- 1 tsp Salt
- 3 tbsp Schultz's Gourmet Smoky Chipotle Cooking Sauce
- 1/4 cup white wine, or alternatively use water or broth
- 10 oz. Cream Cheese
- 10 oz. Sour Cream
1. Soften Cream Cheese at room temperature for 1 hour. Slice onions very thinly, easiest to use a mandoline.
2. Heat a large non-stick skillet to medium, add butter, onions and salt. Sauté about 15 minutes, stirring often, until translucent and softened.
3. Add Chipotle sauce, stir well, and continue to sauté about 10 minutes. Add a splash of white wine (or your alternate—something to keep the onions hydrated) and continue cooking. Continue to add liquid as needed until onions are deep golden brown and caramelized, about 35-40 minutes total.
4. In a large mixing bowl, cream together cream cheese with a hand mixer until no clumps remain. Transfer onions to a cutting board and slice before adding to dip. Stir onions into dip until well mixed.
5. This dip is best served and eaten with our Schultz's Homemade BBQ Chips.